Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Brushing up

Tim:

Many of the day-to-day routines we have go unexamined for years. Until I started thinking about better ways to maintain my body, my house and my life, I sleep-walked through some parts of life. Now I spend time looking at simple ways to help me live well.

Cleaning teeth isn't the sexiest of subjects. Frankly I had always made the assumption that my daily routine was good enough. I don't eat sugary candy, nor drink sweetened sodas. And yet there is evidence now that prevention of gum disease might well contribute to keeping your blood vessels and heart healthy. Makes brushing and flossing seem more important suddenly doesn't it?

The American Heart Association recommends that to prevent bacteria migrating from the mouth to the circulatory system, brushing and flossing is essential. Critical to preventing chronic gum disease is using a toothpaste that contains ingredients with antimicrobial properties. Sadly, most popular brands emphazise their enamel whitening ability.

Fortunately better products exist, containing natural bacteria killers. Now I think of brushing and flossing as whole-body maintenance too.

A little while after posting, I saw this article referring to this topic.

Technorati:

, , ,



Copyright © 2005 Thriveworks– All rights reserved.

No comments: