Sunday, November 20, 2005

A little help goes a long way


Tim:

Until one year ago the only "vitamin pill" I had ever taken was a vitamin C tablet. Somewhere I had read or heard that ascorbic acid (Vitamin C's chemical name) would help me live a longer and healthier life. Or something like that. In any case, it was good for me - I knew that much - and so the bottle ended up in my bathroom cabinet.

It was still there six months later, three-quarters full.

We now have a new fancy name for taking vitamins, and it is "Dietary Supplementation". I like the term, because it accurately describes the process.

Every day we are bombarded with information about how and what to eat. The fad diets come and go. If my mind is any guage, we are all pretty confused about what to eat for maximum health. I've narrowed all the ideas I've read about to a few simple rules of thumb:

1. If we eat more calories that we expend, we shall add weight. (I call this Energy in/Energy out.)

2. To maximize our health, we need to ingest our body's mineral and vitamin requirements daily.

3. It is not practical (nor possible, in my opinion) to eat all the food to fulfil Rule 2 without eating massive amounts.

4. Therefore "Dietary Supplementation" in the form of vitamins, minerals, herbs and proprietary products is essential. Every day.

5. A significant factor in supplementation is the uptake of the nutrients from each serving.

So of course I have started to take my supplements, with the aim of better health and longevity. The battle is keeping myself to the promise of doing it every day. Old (bad) habits die hard.

Copyright © 2005 Thriveworks– All rights reserved.

No comments: