Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Cleaning up

Tim:

Household cleaners are boring. Keeping our houses clean is a necessary part of everyday life, but it's a dull business. For years I mindlessly bought what I thought were the right surface sprays, detergents and cleaners to get the job done. When I started researching how these things might be affecting my health, a rude shock awaited me.

Have you ever read what is in your favorite kitchen spray? Do you wonder how your laundry detergent really works? I'm no chemical engineer, but some of that stuff sounds scary. It's not only frightening, but much of it is downright dangerous.

Many dishwashing detergents, for instance, use chlorine bleach as their active ingredient. When this is combined with hot water, chlorine gas can be released into the air, and therefore into your lungs. Symptoms of inhalation include headache, fatigue and burning eyes. If combined with acid-containing or ammonia-containing cleaners, the resulting gas can be very dangerous. My source is the Wisconsin Department of Health and Family Services.

After reading that, I don't use dishwasher detergents with chlorine bleach any more!




Copyright © 2005 Thriveworks– All rights reserved.

No comments: