Monday, November 28, 2005

Overmunching

Tim:

I sometimes eat when upset or angry, in a behavior called Emotional Eating. If I'm stressed because of work or a relationship problem, eating seems to make me feel better.

Confronting bad habits like this, I look for ways to avoid the "put something in my mouth" response to everyday difficulties. Here are some ways to help remove the temptation:
  • remove trigger foods from the house
  • go for a walk, a jog, or jump on the treadmill
  • keep a goal reminder handy, perhaps on the door of the fridge
  • talk to, or call a friend or mentor
  • write in a journal
  • sourround yourself with positive re-enforcers, such as pictures and people
These ideas are from this website, which is a terrific reference for folks looking to modify their eating and exercise habits.

Habits reward us in some way, so rather than eliminating them, try switching your response to something that is positive. Whenever I feel like one of those delicious high-fat muffins at Starbucks, I walk for an hour. It's amazing how quickly the craving disappears.

Give yourself forty days and look back at your progress.

Copyright © 2005 Thriveworks– All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Milind S. Pandit said...

Also, check out stayinstep.com

Tim and Amy said...

Thanks, another good site.

Tim